Kevin Carroll is a certified State of Texas Elementary Educator, who instructs at ukulele workshops internationally and teaches both private and group music lessons to all ages and levels in Austin, TX . Kevin is also a performing and recording artist in his own right. He has launched a ukulele-based music education company called edUKEcation.com which brings lessons and instruments to schools, youth groups and other ukulele communities. Equally passionate about music, education and ukulele, Kevin seeks to inspire and empower students to exercise their birthright of making music. Kevin has completed three years of course study in the James Hill Ukulele Initiative Teacher Certification Program and has been hired as an instructor for the program in Vancouver and Toronto. This training has served to make Ukulele in the Classroom a popular and successful learning approach in Austin. Note-reading, arranging, conducting and teacher-training are areas of specialization for Kevin. Kevin has finished the 1st year of teacher training provided by the Austin Classical Guitar Society in 2017.
Kevin’s scope of teaching includes Texas-based music, Blues, Soul, Funk, Celtic, Classical, African-based music, and Mariachi. Among his biggest passions in teaching are working with ukulele ensembles (with his differentiated Ukestra approach) and beginners of all ages.
He has been a resident of Austin, TX for over 25 years where he has played guitar and toured across the globe with Americana artists such as the Flatlanders (Joe Ely, Butch Hancock and Jimmie Dale Gilmore), Jimmy LaFave, Alejandro Escovedo, Robyn Ludwick, Charlie and Bruce Robison and many others. In addition to leading his own groups as a singer-songwriter, Kevin has produced albums and written songs for several Austin artists.
Ukulele and Education Credentials
- Certified Graduate of Levels 1-3 of the James Hill Ukulele Initiative Teacher Training (2012-2014)
- Hired as Teacher Instructor for James Hill Ukulele Initiative at Vancouver and Toronto Institutes (2015/2016)
- Certified Level 1 Classical Guitar Instructor at Austin Guitar Summit (2017) through Austin Classical Guitar Society and guitarcurriculum.com
- Certified Elementary Educator State of Texas 2009
- Author of Ukulele Ceilidh (2019)
- Founder and Director of edUKEcation.com launching in Summer 2019 (providing ukuleles and learning materials to schools and organizations)
- Led 3 semesters of after school ukulele programming at Travis High School
- Managed numerous Ukulele Joy! events in Austin
- Maintain a roster of 50-100 students/week in Austin since 2014
- Taught at Ukulele Festivals and Workshops around the globe including
- Founder/Director/Conductor & Arranger of the Austin Ukestra (an instrumental ukulele ensemble)
- The West Coast Ukulele Retreat (Pacific Grove,CA)
- Menucha Band Camp (Corbett, OR)
- Port Townsend Ukulele Festival (Port Townsend, WA)
- Ashokan Ukulele Festival (Olivebridge, NY)
- Harrison Hot Springs Ukulele Retreat (Harrison Hot Springs, BC, Canada)
- Ajijic Ukulele Retreat (Ajijic, Mexico)
- Folk Alliance Music Camp (Kansas City, MO)